Connecting artistic vision with the most recent scientific discoveries and technology, ARTS AT CERN programme inspires new creative dimensions in art. Part of the programme is a one-month residency ACCELERATE Croatia Award during which through the intensive collaboration of artist and scientist arise new and innovative concepts.
ACCELERATE Croatia is the first opportunity for a Croatian artist to carry out artistic research in the field of art, science, and technology inspired by the world of particle physics in intense dialog with the scientists of CERN.
Particle physics considers notions of time, space and gravity to understand what constructs the universe while being invisible to the naked eye. CERN, the world’s largest particle physics laboratory, provides an inspirational place to realize ambitious visual or sound artwork and to expand artistic practice into new creative dimensions.
By entering an open competition, CERN, Geneva (Switzerland) in partnership with Kontejner | bureau of contemporary art praxis, Croatia, offers an individual artist the opportunity to have a one-month research stay at one of the most important laboratories of the world. CERN is the birthplace of the World Wide Web, as well as the world’s largest machine, the 27km Large Hadron Collider with which scientists investigate the origins of the universe.
CERN is also a highly regarded center for advanced science as well as a cutting-edge institution in the contemporary culture. As one of the world’s leading research laboratories, CERN offers a perfect and stimulating environment to host and inspire the development and research of an outstanding new piece of art.
Creators who have the Croatian nationality can submit their project proposal for taking up an artistic investigation in connection with the scientific realm. The deadline for submissions is January 11th, 2017.
The beneficiary will work at CERN for one month, during which time he/she will be introduced to the different aspects of the research conducted there. The experience will be curated by Mónica Bello, head and curator of ARTS AT CERN. The artists will be invited to dialog and discuss ideas with some of the great scientific minds of today's science, engaging with theoretical notions of time and space, as well as encountering the practical cutting-edge engineering used in the experiments.
An international jury of experts will review the submissions and select the winner. The laureate artist will spend a month at CERN and will receive a grant of CHF 5'000 (Swiss Francs). There is also a designated fund to cover the subsistence, lodging and all travel costs. Further information about the conditions of application for the Open Call can be found below.
ACCELERATE Croatia / Conditions for participation
ACCELERATE Croatia is a one-month residency at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) organized in collaboration with Kontejner | bureau of contemporary art praxis. This initiative is specially designed for the artist. He/she must have the nationality or permanent residency in Croatia. It is intended to inspire the development of an imaginative project by the artist, inspired by the high-level research into particle physics as well as the engineering and technology at CERN.
- Conditions of eligibility
This call for projects is oriented to an artist who fulfills the following conditions:
- Applicants who have the nationality or permanent residency in Croatia.
- Have their main, or recognized, professional activity in the creative field.
- Are fluent in the English language which is used as the common language of science and technology in the scientific laboratories at CERN.
The evaluation criteria include, among others:
- The innovative character of the project on the visual and discursive level of the project.
- The originality and pertinence of the research project with respect to time, space and particle physics.
- Interest in scientific ideas and technology as expressed by CERN.
- Demonstrate an interest and engagement with the ideas of particle physics and/or CERN.
- Engage with the visual arts field following the ambitious standards of creativity and the most innovative forms and artistic languages.
- The feasibility of the project as a one-month field of research.
- Conditions and obligations of the residency:
The residency includes a grant of CHF 5,000 for the development of a project, of which 85% will be transferred to the artist at the beginning of the residency. The remaining 15% will be transferred following the completion of a research report by the artist, which has to be done within 4 months of the end of the residency at CERN.
There is a limited budget to cover accommodation costs including charges for one month, which is managed by CERN administration, and CHF 2,000 for subsistence costs which will be transferred to the artist at the beginning of the residency.
These conditions will be covered within accomplishment of the following obligations:
- Working on site, gaining active knowledge of CERN and the laboratory as a whole.
- Reporting, through a blog or other media, on the creative research process underway.
- Producing a report at the end of the residency.
- Presenting a functioning prototype of the project at the end of the research period.
The exact dates of the stay are to be determined between the beneficiary and the ARTS AT CERN team.
- Application submission to be done through our indico system
The file submitted should contain the following documents:
- A written description of a proposed project (maximum two A4 pages giving clear indications of the form and content of the project).
- A budget and financial plan for the whole of the development and production costs of the research project
- A personal testimony in video format recorded on the mobile phone, personal computer/tablet or video camera in which the creators describe their motivation for the residency at CERN and the expected benefits for their creative career (4 minutes maximum).
- A CV and selection of projects already accomplished, in digital format (PDF file, website or links to a portfolio of work online).
All documents must be produced in English.
The deadline for applications is January 11th, 2017.
- Deadline and announcement
The decisions of the jury will be announced in a press release as well as social media: Facebook (www.facebook.com/ArtsatCERN) and Twitter (@ArtsAtCern) as well as the ARTS AT CERN website and Newsletter, in spring 2017.
Because of the expected high number of entries for the Open Call, the administration regrets that it will only be able to notify the winners and not enter into any other correspondence with the other entrants.
The decisions of the jury are definitive and allow no further communication.
Partners: ARTS AT CERN, Switzerland; KONTEJNER | bureau of contemporary art praxis, Croatia; Institute Ruđer Bošković, Croatia